What Have I Learned Since my Last Birthday?
Last year when I turned 21, I made a post about the 21 things I’ve learned. It’s crazy to me how fast this year has gone and how much I’ve learned.
They say your 20’s is a time for you to be lost and selfish, so I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly who I am and what I stand for. I haven’t looked at what I wrote last year so it will be interesting to see the difference.
Here are 22 things I’ve learned this year:
1. If there is something in your life directly affecting your happiness and well-being, get the fuck out.
2. You’re not always going to get an explanation from other people and that’s okay. Just accept that people have their reasons and try not to take it too personally.
3. Cooking is therapeutic and very personally satisfying.
4. Allow yourself to feel sad and use that time to discover who you really are.
5. No one is noticing whatever flaw you see in yourself, so stop walking with your head down and smile.
6. If you have the opportunity to live in a house with some of your best friends, do it. Nothing is better than days filled with endless jokes, laughs and lots of love.
7. There are genuinely nice guys out there. You’ll find them when you stop trying too hard and let life takes it course.
8. A good way to boost your mood whenever you’re feeling shitty is to talk to your mommy about life and adult things.
9. Listen to your body and mind and take the time for yourself first. Tests and projects can be rescheduled, but your life cannot.
10. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and thinking that something or someone is going to fix everything. Accept your circumstances and rise above them.
11. Nights out spend on the dance floor with your friends are nights well spent.
12. Just because someone comes back doesn’t mean it’s meant to be.
13. Apply for any opportunities you are interested in, even if it’s across the world and the timing might not work out. Some of the best things happen when you take risks.
14. Never base your life plan around someone else’s. It would be a shame to reflect on your life later and wish that you put yourself and your aspirations first.
15. Be strong enough to say it’s over. If not, you’re just wasting everyone’s time.
16. Don’t pick a class at 8 a.m. You are lying to yourself and will never show up.
17. Investing in good noise cancelling headphones will change your life.
18. Everyone around you is feeling just as lost and terrified about the future as you. Embrace this time together and make the most of what is left.
19. You don’t truly appreciate how nice it is to have siblings until you’re older. Keep a strong relationship with them.
20. Being able to have a platonic relationships with guys is important. There’s nothing more refreshing than just chilling, watching TV or listening to music, and letting the conversation flow. It’s nice to hear their perspective on things.
21. If everyone in your life thinks that person you’re seeing sucks, they are probably right and you should listen to them before you get unnecessarily hurt.
22. You will have many homes and best friends in this lifetime.
What have you learned since your last birthday? Let me know in the comments.
Thanks for reading and stay hungry to learn, create and grow!