December is my birthday month and on the 6th, I turned 24 which is such a random age in my opinion, but it’s definitely an age during one of the most important phases of your life.
Your 20’s are a weird age because you’re not a teen anymore so you can’t be crazy reckless and avoid all responsibility. Instead you’re a half-ass adult, so you can still make lots of mistakes.
In comparison to last year, this year I visited over 10 different states, shot street style at New York Fashion Week, graduated from college, and made the decision to go back to school.
Starting with my 22nd birthday, I have compiled a list of things I’ve learned throughout the year and it’s always interested to look back and see how much I’ve grow, so I would highly recommend you to create a list for your next birthday.
It’s always good to reflect so here’s my list of things I learned this year:
1. Everything has their ending
Whether it be a job, a phase in your life, or a relationship. Life is all about rolling with the punches
2. There will never be enough time
No matter how early you wake up, 24 hours just isn’t enough
3. The 9-5 lifestyle is no joke
A huge kudos to the parents that get their kids ready in the morning, drop them off, spend 40+ minutes in traffic to get to work and then 40+ minutes back from work to pick up the kids, take them to activities, do homework, make dinner, tuck the kids in bed and do it again 5 days a week, because I could never do it
4. It’s always worth it to pay a little extra
Especially when it comes to purchasing products that are higher quality and made ethically and eco-friendly
5. Opposites do attract
I used to think that I wanted a partner who was creative and artsy like me but I’ve come to realize that it’s more exciting to have opposite interests from your partner so you can each bring something new to the table
6. Nothing you do goes to waste
Everything you learn, do, or experience in life comes in handy whether it be one year later or 20 years later
7. It’s not about how much money you have, but what you do with it
Your money doesn’t go with you when you die, so why not spend it while you’re alive?
8. Don’t be afraid to cold call
The only way to get what you want is to ask
9. It’s never too early to start
It’s not about how long you’ve been doing something but how much work you put into it daily
10. People are exhausting
The less time you spend around people the less stressful your life will be, I can promise you that
11. Sometimes what you want isn’t what you need
And sometimes it’s takes you quite a few years to realize that
12. Your 20’s are your selfish years
Don’t be afraid to say yes to an international job opportunity or choosing to follow your dreams in a new city
13. Experience the world while you are still young
While you may not have all the funds, you have all the energy, less responsibilities, and more to gain
14. Expensive skin care is cheaper than a face lift
Those face creams and serums are pricey for a reason and it’s because they work. Don’t skimp out on helping yourself out in the long run
15. Nothing stays a secret forever, the truth always comes out
2017 has been the year of sexual harassment scandals and it goes to show that everything comes to light no matter how long it’s been
16. Take care of yourself first, always
Fuck school and fuck work, they’ll still be there when you get better
17. The older you get the more conversations you have about life
It’s funny that as you get older you understand what all the grown ups were talking about when you were younger
18. Don’t be surprised when everyone you know from high school starts getting engaged and having babies
It’s just another phase in life
19. Even if your car doesn’t come with a spare tire, you should get one
Popped tires can happen and you should be prepared
20. The best investment you’ll ever make is in yourself
Whether it be physical investment, financial investment, or a mental investment
21. Now is the time to start acquiring those wardrobe pieces you’ll have for the rest of your life
If you decide to have kids these are the type of things you imagine handing down to them
22. Don’t be afraid to put people in their place
When someone does you wrong, let them know that you were the wrong person to fuck with
23. All your little purchases add up
If you spend $10 a day on lunch by the end of the work week that’s $50 and by the end of the month you’ve already wasted $200+ that could be used to better yourself
24. Stop wasting your time being discouraged if you’re not where you want to be
It’s all about hard work, timing and luck. Just keep putting your work out there and the world will start to notice
Which one did you relate to the most? Let me know in the comments.
Thanks for reading and stay hungry to learn, create and grow!