I’m a day late posting this but hey, better late than never. Being an avid Tumblr user, I’ve come across a variation of these kinds of posts. I think it’s always quite interesting to see the different lessons people get out of experiences that they go through.
I decided to take on the challenge and rummage through the archives of my hippocampus to compile my own list. Since I recently turned 21 (December 6) I thought it would be clever to title this “20 things I learned before turning 21”.
It was quite eye opening to see how much I have grown as a person. I’m all about personal growth, so I challenge you to create a list of things you learned or a list of things you wish you knew before turning a certain age. Here is my list:
1. Don’t give too much of yourself to someone who doesn’t want it, you’ll just end up getting hurt.
2. If you have to question if someone cares, they don’t.
3. Dance parties in the living room with your best friends is the best cure.
4. It’s okay to be a mess and cry yourself to sleep.
5. If you do drugs, make sure you’re doing the drugs and the drugs aren’t doing you.
6. Don’t spend too much time on boys you meet in high school and focus on having the time of your life with your friends, because once you graduate they won’t mean shit to you.
7. Allow yourself to feel sad, so you can figure out why you are and then change it.
8. Don’t rush relationships, beautiful things take time.
9. You don’t need a date to have fun at a party, all you need is a good DJ.
10. Giving other people compliments is just as satisfying as receiving them.
12. Take lots of pictures in your adolescence. They are always the best to look at when you’re feeling nostalgic.
13. Be nice to everyone because you never know who knows who. The world is such a small place.
14. Never make impulse decisions when you’re upset about something.
15. Listen to your mom, she always ends up being right and you know it.
16. Cherish the friends who answer when you call at 3 A.M, they are the real MVP.
17. Stop giving your body to boys who don’t even take the time to really touch it.
18. When it comes to friends, less is more.
19. Always say yes to McDonald’s fries.
20. Being vulnerable isn’t a sign of weakness.
Thanks for reading and stay hungry to learn, grow and create!