At this point in my life I’ve lived in the suburbs, a small town, and now a big tourist town. They each have their own pros and cons but I think living in a big tourist town is my favorite for this current phase in my life.
Victoria has a population of about 4.8 million with about 3 million international visitors in 2018 making it a popular tourist destination.
It’s a great spot because there’s a bit of something for everyone. Beaches, bars, a diverse food scene, non stop entertainment, mountains , snow and so much more.
I’m a few months short of officially living in a tourist town for over a year which is a good amount of time to get a feel for the city.
Having always been a tourist in a tourist area I never really noticed all the little annoyances that come with being a resident in a tourist town. Annoyances aside there are a decent bit of perks that makes it all worth it.
I’ve put together a list of pros and cons for anyone that’s thinking about making the move to a tourist town and want to know what to expect because living and visiting are two different things.
Pros and Cons of Living in a Tourist Town
- New restaurants and bars are always opening
- There is a good and reliable public transportation system
- Secret local spots to discover
- Potential to meet cool people from all over the world
- Fun events and activities are always happening
- More conveniences such as banks, ATM’s and quick shops everywhere
- City infrastructure is well maintained
- Lots of job and business opportunities such as rental properties
- Cool and unique landmarks
- Most places are walking or biking distance
- Crowds of people in your way all the time
- Overpriced and overrated establishments
- Tickets for events and shows sell out fast
- Higher cost of living
- Areas always blocked off for construction
- Bustling with the noises of people, trains, and cars during all hours
- Less sense of community
- Lack of space in residential places
- New developments destroying historic infrastructure
- More people visiting during the summer
What are the pros and cons of living in your town? Let me know in the comments.
Thanks for reading and stay hungry to learn, create and grow!